Gender & Family Life

Growing up I recognized who to turn to for honest advice: my parents. However, each parent has a different advice style.

My mom is a very feelings oriented woman, so naturally I take after her. We often joke about how this is a curse because our tendencies to cry are common, but without this trait my family just wouldn't be the same. My dad on the other hand is a very logical man. He sees things as they are and only thinks about the task at hand. As a society we joke about how this is common in males; they focus only on one thing at a time because that's all they have the capacity to do. However, in a sense it's true, and it's not a bad thing! My mom and dad have always balanced each other out. When I need compassion for my emotions or just want to talk through my feelings I naturally go to my mom. However, when I need a subjective point of view and some logical sense I can turn to my dad. This is the important role of not only a mother and father, but also a man and woman.

Men and women are very different, but that is what makes us great. When we think of the word "feminine" another word that may come to mind is "girly." "Masculine" can also be phrased as "manly." Based on some studies done on children, girls and boys do have their different tendencies. Girls tend to play more cooperatively. For example, in the study the girls went directly to the dolls and played gently with each other. Girls also have better communication which can be seen within days of being born as baby girls try to mouth things when being talked to. Boys, on the other hand, tend to be more aggressive and competitive in their play. For example, the little boys in the study played with the toys such as guns and were looking forward to demolishing towers instead of building them. Another observation came from the parents who explained that even though they did not allow their sons to play with toy guns at home, the boys would use anything such as carrots and turn it into a gun in their play.




My little brother and sister are great examples of the gender differences. They play along great, but when they have their preferences, my brother is prone to play with race cars all day everyday, and my sister will certainly grab her favorite dolls and play with her dollhouse. Also, you would never catch my little brother wearing a sparkly pink vest by choice.🤣

Something to realize about these differences are that they are natural, and they are not a bad thing. Some may be offended or their opinions may differ about guys' masculinity, but this natural instinct can be useful when they become husbands and fathers. Women's gentler nature is an asset for being a wife and mother as well - not to say woman can't fight back if she wants to. In fact, in "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" it states the different responsibilities of men and women. To sum it up, women are responsible for nurturing while men are responsible for providing, presiding, and protecting the family. These responsibilities actually go hand in hand which is what makes a family successful. Of course no family is perfect, and in some cases the presence of a mother or father may suddenly be absent. However, the natural instincts of men and women work really well together, so neither side should be looked down on or feel the pressure of changing to be considered "equal" to each other.

I am grateful for a mother and father who are tender and loving parents who work together to strengthen our family. My dad is a hardworking man, and he has sacrificed a lot to provide for our family. He is also a superb role model for presiding in our family functions and protecting his family at all costs. My mom will always be my number one supporter. She has great listening ears for my complaints and worries as well as thoughtful advice to help me become a better woman. This is not to say that my dad is never softhearted or my mother won't knock some sense into me, but overall they give me such perfect balance in my life, and I am forever grateful for their harmonious differences.



Comments